Budget travellers in Singapore often have their eyes peeled for the best free places to visit. Is Fort Canning Park on your list of Singapore’s must-see attractions? Because it really ought to be!
Interesting tourist facts about Singapore’s Fort Canning Park:
- Fort Canning was previously known as Bukit Laragan, meaning Forbidden Hill in Malay, before Sir Stamford Raffles discovered Singapore.
- It was where Singapore’s first botanical garden was built in 1822.
- It was also where the colony’s governors lived, thus it was called Goverment Hill.
- In 1859, Fort Canning was taken over by the military and was converted into a fort.
- During World War II, it was the headquarters of the Singapore Base district of the British Army.
- When Singapore attained independence, the Singapore Armed Forces took over Fort Canning.
Today, Fort Canning houses Singapore’s Registry of Marriages. Tourists visiting the place can often catch glimpses of brides and bridegrooms taking their wedding shoots. Its clearings are used for musical performances such as ballet under the stars and is also used for the WOMAD, Singapore’s largest music festival.
To order discounted tickets:
firstname.lastname@example.org or +65 8282 1312
Free delivery to your hotel/hostel in Singapore.
All Singapore attraction tickets available.
Guaranteed best price in Singapore.
Package – $199.50 (U.P. $237.50, save $38):
Universal Studios Singapore
+ Singapore Flyer
+ Maritime Experiential Museum & Aquarium
+ Night Safari
+ Hippo Bus
+ Singapore River Cruise
+ Sentosa Cable Car
Your Singapore Guide