It’s almost that time of the month for Deepavali aka Diwali, the most important festival for Hindus all around the world!
To get ready for Deepavali, we need to prepare many Deepavali snacks for guests when they visit!
Here is a very nice Murukku recipe; ingredients can be easily found at Little India.
3 cups rice flour
1 cup fried gram dhal flour (pottu kadalai podi)
big pinch of asafoetida
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds (optional)
required quantity of salt
required quantity of water
oil for deep fry
- Mix rice flour, fried gram dhal flour, sesame seeds, required quantity of salt and a big pinch of asafoetida.
- Add a laddle full of hot oil to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add little quantity water and knead into smooth and soft dough.
- Dough should not be too stiff or too loose.
- Heat a kadai with enough oil to fry.
- Now take the murukku press and stuff in a lump of dough and press.
- You can choose to press the dough directly into the oil like in the video above, or shape it on a ladle before dropping it into the oil.
- Deep fry on both sides until they turn into golden yellow colour.
- Remove from flame and drain the excess of oil
- Cool and store in an air tight container.
- This will be fresh for weeks in an air tight container.
- Source: http://www.tastyindianfood.com/murukku.html
Have loads of yummy fun,